Wednesday, May 6, 2009
Things that Go Honk in the Night
As I lay in bed last night, waiting to drift off to sleep, a nearby rooster started crowing (the whole thing about roosters crowing at dawn is hooey - they crow morning, noon, and night). A short time later, a car alarm went off, jerking me awake. A little later still, it was a car horn playing Dixie Land. It hit me that here I was, in a bed thousands of miles from my home in the States, hearing exactly the same sounds I could hear on the streets of just about any town in America. Roosters and horns and car alarms are the same the world around, I guess. Then it occured to me that during the past few days I´ve been hearing a completely different sound that is the same the world around - the sound of children laughing and playing, learning, eating, developing a sense of hope, and learning to believe that they are loved. It was a nice thought to fall asleep to.
- A few parting thoughts
- The Final Two Days (part 3 - the final day)
- The Final Two Days (part 2 - the ice cream party)
- The Final Two Days (part 1)
- Greatest hits
- A place called home
- Closing out the incredible week at in Honduras
- How can it be Thursday ALREADY??
- Touring Teguc
- Another day, another lesson
- Soccer Blow-Out
- What a day!
- Too Many Hours with a Wheelbarrow?
- Thursday afternoon - on work crew again!
- Impressed by El Hogar
- Sopa con banana, take 2
- Thursday visit to the Episcopal Agricultural Schoo...
- My friend Pedro
- Kids at School and Play
- Return to Amarateca
- Things that Go Honk in the Night
- A day at the Instituto Technico Santa Maria
- Wheelbarrow Capsize
- Another day, another reality check
- Creating The Bean Blog
- The Widowmaker
- Day 4 of our Honduras trip is winding down, I am s...
- All the hard labor we could ask for - and then som...
- Sweat, Tortillas, Dirt, and Tears
- Day 3! More beans!!! We are having so much fun.. W...
- Play-time Snag
- A very full Monday at El Hogar!
- It is, after all, a school
- Where do I begin?
- A day of thanks
- Arrival weekend in Tegucigalpa!
- A Trip to the Chinese Market
- Arrival in Honduras
- Beanie-Baby Workout
- Third time's a Charm
- ▼ May (43)